Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Top Ten Places Mentioned In Books That I’d Like to Visit

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

I intended to only feature books with real places I would like to visit, but I quickly realized that I read way too much fantasy and fiction to make that possible. I have a couple realistic travel destinations, but the overwhelming number of them are, sadly, impossible to actually visit (unless there's a whole amusement park created in its honor, like Harry Potter). Speaking of Harry Potter, yes of course I would want to visit Hogwarts and that world, but that's basic. Everyone is going to say that. I'm going to be different™ and list other books. So without further ado, here is my list:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9)Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)The 100 (The 100, #1)City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)Poison Study (Study, #1)The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)Mary, Queen of Scots: Queen Without a Country

#1: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Ok so this is the one basic answer I am going to allow myself, because of course I would want to visit Camp Half-Blood. The inner Greek god geek inside me would absolutely LOVE to be surrounded by demigods. That would be SO COOL. I'd have so many questions.
Goodreads / Purchase

#2: The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
I used to be (lowkey still am) obsessed with the whole Henry VIII era of history. I loved Elizabeth I and was completely fascinated by her father and his collection of wives. I couldn't wrap my head around the sheer number of women he went through, and how he was allowed to divorce or behead them. Interesting stuff, isn't it? Anne Boleyn, being Elizabeth's mother, was of course my favorite wife, so to read a book set in that era, in that location in England, about her family, was so cool, and somewhere I would absolutely want to visit. It would be really cool to time travel to that point in time to experience that for myself, but alas, time travel does not exist at this time (or does it????). So I will settle for simply visiting the Hampton Court Palace which, a quick Google search revealed, was Henry VIII's castle. It's for sure added to my travel bucket list now.
Goodreads / Purchase

#3: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Listen. I know I wouldn't last two seconds in this place, but come on. The lure of visiting somewhere Dimitri Belikov breathed in is too damn tempting. It would totally be worth it. And if I'm lucky, Rose would even kick my ass. I would forever cherish those memories. And who knows, maybe I could meet my own hot ass bodyguard and we could fall in love. A girl can dream, ok?!
Goodreads / Purchase

#4: The 100 by Kass Morgan
Full disclosure, I haven't read this book...I also have no intentions of ever reading this book BUT I do watch and love the tv show, so I know pretty much everything that happens. The place I want to go from this story is Mt Weather, which is actually a real place. It is in Virginia, and serves as a safe place for high-class military personnel to go in the case of  a natural disaster. HOW COOL IS THAT??!!
Goodreads / Purchase

#5: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
I wasn't a huge fan of this book and don't really want to visit the Shadowhunter headquarters or Institute or whatever it was called. But I do want to visit New York, which is where the story is set. I actually went on a short trip to the city two years ago and loved it (even though I consider myself an outdoorsy person who prefers mountains to skyscrapers #naturegirl #relatable), and I would love to go back. And, thankfully, this is actually entirely possible.
Goodreads / Purchase

#6: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Who wants to take bets on how long I would survive in the Barrel? I would say about 37 seconds, and that's if I'm being generous. But I would want to see it, it would be worth it! I want to see Ketterdem, the city Kaz rules over. Just to be there would feel so surreal and amazing, like wow. That would be so freaking cool.
Goodreads / Purchase

#7: Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas
Terrasen. The place Aelin fought so hard for. The dream they were all chasing, the place they shed blood and tears for. I want to visit it. The love and loyalty displayed by Aelin and her followers for this place tugs at my heart, and I want to see the place they were striving for. It was painted as this beautiful, scenic, peaceful land, and anywhere Aelin is, I wanna be.
Goodreads / Purchase

#8: Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Honestly I just want to meet Yelena, Valek and Ari and Janco, but like, I would totally also travel to all the military districts in Ixia too. As long as I could hug Valek and Yelena would stoop to kick my ass just once, I would be happy.
Goodreads / Purchase

#9: The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Now hear me out on this one. I want to visit the maze, but like, after everyone leaves and the Grievers are gone.I know it's a terrible place and so many people suffered there, but it's so cool. I just want to see it! Like it seems like such an impressive technological achievement, and I bet the architecture is breathtaking. It probably compares to the ruins of ancient Rome.
Goodreads / Purchase

#10: Queen Without a Country by Kathryn Lasky
Saved the best for last. This book is my childhood, I used to read this princess diaries religiously, and this was one of my favorites because of the setting. This place is actually already on my bucket list and I have been working towards it for years. I want to visit Scotland. Again. I lived there about ten years ago, but I want to go back. Hopefully I'll make it happen soon.
Goodreads / Purchase

What books are in your top ten?
Link me up!!

10 comments:

  1. Yes, it would be interesting to visit The Maze under the right conditions.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! Camp Half-Blood would be all sorts of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fun Top 10 Tuesday idea. If I had the time I'd totally join in! Lately one place I really want to visit because of a book (and the tv show I guess) is Scotland, because of Outlander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, Outlander has SUCH beautiful scenery. And those accents! Ugh. I hope we both make it over there someday haha

      Delete
  4. Yay for Poison Study! I think I chose that one in a previous topic with a similar theme. I'd definitely want to go there just to hang with Ari, Janco, Yelena, and Valek! And everyone else too of course! ;)

    Thanks for visiting my TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poison Study is like the greatest book ever but I feel like it's so underrated. I'm glad there's someone else who feels it is worthy of a top ten list haha

      Delete
  5. I'd love to visit Camp Half Blood and Terrasen and I share your obsession with the Tudors, so I'd love to go to Tudor England too. I'd also really love to see Ketterdam. I actually have been to New York, I loved it.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/02/26/top-ten-tuesday-200/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg I would LOVE to visit the Maze too! I always pick really dangerous places... I just don't want to die while I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I made my list, I was thinking about the Grishaverse and then decided... Nope, I don't want to go there. I wouldn't survive long in the Barrel either, but I think the idea of visiting with like a bodyguard or troop of bodyguards or maybe just the Dregs at my side would be incredible.

    And the Maze! I would like to see it too, just after everything scary and terrible is gone. Awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates