Tuesday, July 30, 2013

{Review} City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass
by Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #3
Pages: 541
Format: Paperback
Release Date: March 24, 2009
by Margarte K. McElderry Books (an imprint of Simon & Schuster)

Goodreads / Purchase
To save her mother’s life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters—never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight. As Clary uncovers more about her family’s past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he’s willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City—whatever the cost?
Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of bestselling series the Mortal Instruments.


Wow.  This book.  Wow.  So many feelings, so many emotions.  I was literally screaming and yelling as I was reading this book.  It’s just one of those few books that just make you crazy.  This was supposed to be the end of the trilogy, and it closed off everything so well.  The series got better and better as the series carried on, and this one was really awesome.  The world and story was so complex during this whole series, and this book perfectly explained everything and tied off all the loose ends.  Everything that I wanted to happen happened, and everything I wanted explained was explained.  The story flowed so well and every single event and little detail made perfect sense, because it had been explained in the books before.

Let’s address the elephant in the room – or should I say, in the review.  [SPOILER: JACE AND CLARY BEING RELATED!  Obviously I knew there was no way that could be because THEY ARE MEANT TO BE TOGETHER!  But I still wasn’t positive.  There was a possibility that they could actually be related, but I’m SO FREAKING GLAD THAT THEY AREN’T!  Honestly it was killing me.  The whole book I was waiting for the moment when Clare would set things straight, but I was NOT expecting it when it happened.  It was during the big info-dump Jocelyn did to Clary before the big battle at the end.  The whole time I was expecting Clare to drop the bomb, but she didn’t.  Then Jocelyn started talking about how Clary’s brother was so evil, and Clary was like “No he isn’t’.  Jace is really nice” and Jocelyn was like “Oh no Clary, I wasn’t talking about him.  I was talking about your brother” Clary’s like “But Jace is my brother?” and Jocelyn was like “No he isn’t” and at that point I was going crazy.  I was in the car with my family so I was literally rolling around on the back seat with a blanket stuffed over my mouth as I screamed my head off.  The way Clare did it was so amazing, and it totally caught me off guard.  Oh my God.  But it made perfect sense.  I was really hoping that Clare would come up with good history and a good explanation for why Jace was thought to be Valentine’s son, and she totally did that, and more.  She completely blew me away with that!
Then there was the twist about Sebastian Verlak not being the real Sebastian Verlak, and after the big info-dump from Jocelyn I totally guessed that Jonathan (the real Jonathan, not Jace) was impersonating Sebastian.  Oh yeah! ]


As I’ve said before, I’m kind of in love with Jace.  [SPOILER: If he and Clary really had been related, I would have been okay with that because then Jace would be a free agent and I could marry him and we could have a ton of little Shadowhunter kids and live happily ever after…I am so sorry, I drifted off into dreamland for a bit there.  Back to the review.  ]  Jace is awesome.  So.  Freaking.  Sexy.  I love his personality, his snark, his kick-ass-ness.  God, he’s perfect.  And, also, I really loved how much Clary has grown over the course of this series.  I didn’t really like her much in the first book, but I really loved her in this one.  She was very, very strong.  I also really loved all the supporting characters like Alec, Isabelle, Magnus, and Simon.  They really make the book awesome.


Honestly I can’t figure out why Clare has written 3 more books for this series.  I don’t see the point. This book closed off the series perfectly, and there really is no need for any more books.  But, I’ll still check them out and see how I feel :)


A very awesome 4.5 pink flowers. Close to 5 stars, but not quiet.


Quotes:

“It’s my cologne.  Eau de Recent Injury,” said Jace.

“There is no pretending,” Jace said with absolutely clarity.  “I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there’s a life after that, I’ll love you then.”

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you understand how happy I was to see Alec as soon as I entered your site. Have to say, it kind of made my day.

    Also, friendly reminder: only 22 more days until CoB releases in theaters.

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates