Saturday, July 27, 2013

{Review} City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes
by Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #2
Pages: 453
Release Date: March 24, 2009
by Margaret K. McElderry Books (an imprint of Simon & Schuster)

Goodreads / Purchase

WARNING: Don't read this summery unless you've read the first book!  It gives away ALL the plot twists!!
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? Clary would love to spend more time with her best friend, Simon. But the Shadowhunters won't let her go--especially her handsome, infuriating newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil--and also her father. When the second of the Mortal Instruments os stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor suspects Jace. Could Jace really be willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?


I’m becoming more and more invested in this series.  I’m starting to really, really love it and become addicted to it.  This book was much, much better than the first one.  This one was much darker, faster paced, and was a lot darker.  It added perfectly to the story, and I absolutely loved the world.  I was very impressed with the story line, and I have absolutely no complaints about that.  I liked how Clare focused on different characters in turn.  That made the book so much more interesting and made you want to keep reading.  The staging was really great, and the story flowed beautifully.  The ending was so, so amazing, and the description scenes where Clare is describing the setting or something were very well done.  I could imagine everything so clearly because of her great writing.  The ending was so amazing and thrilling, and the perfect climax to the story.

I love this cast.  Like, really love them.  Every single character is so special and entertaining.  In this book Jace was much more subdued than in the first book, and also very dark and damaged.  [SPOILER: I thought that was very appropriate after what happened at the end of City of Bones and also because he’s being accused of so many things that he didn’t do. ]  I loved seeing this other side of him because it makes him seem human and also adds to the story.  I wasn’t that impressed with Clary in the first book, but I freaking love her after this one.  She was much more of a factor in this book, and definitely showed herself as a strong, independent, kick-butt character.  She still isn’t as developed as the other characters, but she’s getting there.  I really love Luke being featured more in this book because he really is such an important character.  Isabelle, Magnus, and Alec just top of the cast with a ton of personality and spunk.  Amazing, amazing cast.


This book was so freaking good!  The combination of a really great story line, awesome characters, and great writing really made this book into something special, and I can’t wait to see what happens in book three!


4.5 pink flowers


Quotes:


“I don’t want to be a man,” said Jace.  “I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can’t confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead.”


“Enormous?” said Jace. “Did you just call me fat?”
“It was an analogy.”
“I am not fat.”


“I can’t believe he didn’t have the dignity and presence of mind just to get drunk and pass out in some gutter,” said Jace.  “I must say, I’m disappointed in the little fellow.”


“I thought I’d lie on the floor and writhe in pain for a while,” he (Jace) grunted.  “It relaxes me.”


“I get the feeling,” Alec said, and smiled, “she hasn’t forgiven me for betraying you, as she sees it.” “Good girl,” said Jace with appreciation. “I didn’t betray you, idiot.” “It’s the thought that counts.”


“Because,” Clary said with grim certainty, “only Jace can piss someone off that much.”

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I thought this one was much better than the first one too. I was getting tired of the constant brother-sister-attraction though and I hated the third book :p I hope you'll like it better than I did!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates