Saturday, January 12, 2013

Review: Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky
by Veronica Rossi
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Pages: 374
Release Date: January 3, 2012
by Harper

Goodreads / Purchase
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.


After reading so many rave reviews about this book, I couldn’t wait to read it.  I think I might have gone into it with too high expectations, because it wasn’t that awesome.  The idea was a really good one, and I liked how the story got going from page one, and the staging in the beginning was really good, but I just didn’t like this book.  I think the main reasons were the writing and the main character, Aria.  To me, the writing was kind of disconnected, and I had to reread sentences several times to get the meaning.  The world and situation that Rossi created was really great, and I really wish she could have been able to finish it off with her writing, but sadly she wasn’t.

Really the main reason that I both hate and kind of love this book is the characters.  I’m going to start with what I hate, and that is Aria.  In a book like this, the main female character has to be really strong and kick-butt.  Aria was weak, whiny, and, for lack of a better word, a bitch.  Even though Perry saved her life several times and took care of her, she was never grateful, and kept on calling him “Savage”, which was kind of a huge insult in this book.  She was stupid, annoying, stubborn, and just totally not the kind of character she should have been.  For these reasons, I can’t figure out why on earth Perry actually liked her.  Because of the situation he was in, he couldn’t let her die, but I don’t know why he put up with her being such a whiny kid and actually ended up liking her.

Even though the idea for this book was really original and I liked the setting, the not-so-awesome writing and the annoying main character brought the books rating down for me.  And honestly, I feel bad for Perry, because he’s got to deal with Aria’s attitude for a whole another book.



2.5 pink flowers


5 comments:

  1. Oh no! So sad you didn't like this one. Aria is a bit whiny, and I kind of went into this thinking everyone disliked it, so I came out LOVING it. But mostly for Perry's story line. Aria's was just okay, and she could be a little grating at times. I can see how you would hate her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really appreciate your honest review! Sorry to hear that this one didn't work for you. It's always disappointing when a popular book that others rave about doesn't click. Haven't read this one yet, but have it in my TBR pile. I'm sure I'll get to it someday, but think her whiny behavior will probably annoy me too. Hope your next read is better!

    My Saturday Situation

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually liked this book but I do agree with you on your opinions of the characters. For me this book was really fast paced and I really liked the plot. It's too bad though that you didn't enjoy it, happy reading for your next book(s) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've quite enjoyed UTNS but now the you mention it, I do think Aria is slightly insufferable at first but I'll be bias and excuse it as a result of too much Realm-y stuff hehe :D I really loved Perry and Roar and that's what made the book stand out to me. Maybe you should try TTEN, everyone says it's better than the first!

    -Alicia
    Book a World

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! I am sooo glad to read a review that mirrors my thoughts on this book, a little bit at least. I thought I was the only one who had a less than stellar impression of this book. There were parts I liked, and it ended up being a 3 star book for me, but it just wasn't as ground-breaking as it could have been.

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates