Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Review: Defiance

Defiance
C.J. Redwine
Series: Defiance #1
Pages: 403
Release Date: August 28, 2013
by Balzer + Bray

Goodreads / Purchase
Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.


Usually when there is a lot of hype around a book and I have really high expectations about it, it usually ends up disappointing me…but this one didn’t.  This book is virtually perfect.  I absolutely loved the setting and the world – kind of a combination of fantasy and dysopian – and those are some of my favorite genres.  I loved how Redwine got right into the story, no messing around, and didn’t let up on the suspense and action all book long.  The way she wove the story was just beautiful – I loved the way she set up the story line and explained the history and everything.  This book is a perfect combination of romance, action, and fantasy, and all writers who are trying to write a book like that need to use this book as an example.  The writing was superb, the story was superb…ugh, it was just perfect.  I liked how Redwine switched the point of view throughout the story, showing what was happening with each person, and how the different actions connect.  Also, for each problem, there was a good, solid, believable solution, and sometimes that is really lacking in books.  Also, the ending was super thrilling, and there will definitely be another book.

I have never read a book with this kind of love situation.  Let me sum up: When she was younger, Rachel was in love with Logan, and she told him one day, but he said he didn’t love her, so then she’s “hated” him ever since.
So that’s basically a summery, and what an awesome idea to do it like that.  I absolutely loved the romance in this book.  It was so cute and sweet and perfect…aaaaah just great.
I really loved Rachel!  In this kind of book the main female character has to be really strong and kick-butt, and Rachel was definitely that.  In fact, I think she was a bit too kick-butt, a bit too violent.  But other than that, she was pretty awesome.  I also really liked Logan, because he too was pretty kick-butt and awesome.  If I was told to choose three words to best describe him they would be: perfect, sexy, nice.

I’m really sorry for the long, rambling review, but you guys just don’t understand how awesome this book is!  It reminds me of Maria V. Snyder, who you guys know is my most favorite author of ALL time!  Also, I just want to mention the cover.  I’m sure you guys have seen it on Goodreads and been like “wow, that’s a cool cover”.  But then if you hold a real physical copy in your hands and look at it you’re like “Holy shit, this is the best, most kick-ass cover I’ve ever seen!!”.  I’m pretty sure I’m not wrong ;P



5 pink flowers

2 comments:

  1. Great review, Emily! I'm glad this book worked for you. I liked the romantic aspect of the book, too...how it evolved and everything. It was a fun read, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I know what you mean about hyped books sometimes being disappointing, so glad to hear that this one is an exception! Love the sound of Rachel, as she sounds like my kind of MC!

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates