Saturday, January 26, 2013

Review: The Cadet of Tildor

The Cadet of Tildor
by Alex Lidell
Pages: 400
Release Date: January 10, 2013
by Dial

Goodreads / Purchase
Tamora Pierce meets George R. R. Martin in this smart, political, medieval fantasy-thriller.

 There is a new king on the throne of Tildor. Currents of political unrest sweep the country as two warring crime families seek power, angling to exploit the young Crown's inexperience. At the Academy of Tildor, the training ground for elite soldiers, Cadet Renee de Winter struggles to keep up with her male peers. But when her mentor, a notorious commander recalled from active duty to teach at the Academy, is kidnapped to fight in illegal gladiator games, Renee and her best friend Alec find themselves thrust into a world rife with crime, sorting through a maze of political intrigue, and struggling to resolve what they want, what is legal, and what is right.

***Note: This review has some spoilers in it, but they're mostly minor, and I will give you plenty of warning!

The Cadet of Tildor and I have a love/hate relationship.  I’ve really been getting into this kind of genre (fantasy, fighting, action), and I was expecting this book to be really awesome.  And it was…only it kind of wasn’t.  Let me explain: I really loved the setting for this book.  Lindell did a fabulous job explaining the fantasy world, and setting the pace for the story.  Her writing…let’s just say it was inconsistent.  And the story line…well let’s just say it was jumpy.  The reason I mention them right after another is they are a huge reason as to why I didn’t absolutely love this book.  At times, the writing drew me in, and the story was fast-paced and action-packed, and it had a purpose.  And then – it didn’t.  At times, the writing was average, bordering on bad, and the story line was slow and pointless.  Also, sometimes the staging was kind of cheesy and obvious.  SPOILER: ***[Example: Once Savoy is captured because he and Renee set out to free Diam, Renee takes Diam to a cage fight because Savoy bought the tickets while trying to track down Diam and Diam found them and wanted to go.  As a result of Renee and Diam going, Renee finds out what happened to Savoy, and she can rescue him.  That’s all fine and dandy, but let’s not forget, Diam is a child!  I don’t think he’s even 10.  In fact, I know he isn’t 10, because Savoy mentions the fact that he won’t be 13 for several more years.  I would never take a 10 year kid to a cage fight, where there is violence and killing.  This was just down-right horrible staging by Lindell, and just so outrageous.  Anyway, moving on]***.
However, some aspects of the book I did enjoy.  I liked the parts where there was action, and I felt like by the end of the book the story all made sense, and everything worked out okay.  The reason I gave this book such a good rating is mostly because of the ending, which was action-packed and thrilling, and also because of the twists and turns throughout the story.  And then…we get to the characters.

I.  Hate.  Savoy.  I hate him with a passion.  What a mean, stuck-up, conceited, ass-hole guy.  He was sulking about having to teach, and he totally took it out on his innocent students.  SPOILER: ***[He even beat Renee for doing something that he himself did as a child.  He beat her.]***
Yes, he is kind of attractive, and yes, he is extremely kick-butt, but, most of all, he is a huge jerk, and I can’t ever forget that.  And then we get to Renee.  First off, I can totally understand her attraction to Savoy (I mean, come on, if an extremely attractive, muscular, kick-butt guy came in and was all aloof and stuff, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t be able to not be attracted to him), but once Savoy beat the shit out of her, I honestly expected her to hate him.  I definitely didn’t expect her to think of him as a friend.  But, other than that, I really loved Renee.  She was smart, kick-butt, defiant, and strong, and I really liked the personality that Lindell gave her.  Go Renee!

Really, this is a very good fantasy read, and I really enjoyed it.  Even with the douche-bag guy and the sometimes less than stellar writing, overall, this book was great.  Do I smell a sequel coming?  I hope so!


4 pink flowers


Favorite Quotes:

“Should she follow the law, or follow her instincts?
~Tag line

“’...You have a problem, de Winter?’  The words left her mouth before her brain filtered them.  ‘Yes, it’s blond, green-eyed, and thinks it’s a god.’”
Aahahahahahah best quote ever.  By the way, Renee was talking about Savoy :P

~Page 180

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really read your review because I saw there were spoilers, but I'll come back and read it after I finish the book. I just got it in the mail!!!! And I'm really happy you gave it four-stars. I haven't seen too many reviews on this one, but it's one that I've looked forward to reading for many many months :)

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates