Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Review: Shattered Dreams

Author: Ellie James
Series: Midnight Dragonfly #1
Pages: 342
Format: Paperback
Source: Ellie James (Thank you!!)
Release Date: December 6, 2011
Rating: 3.5

Summery:
Sixteen-year-old Trinity Monsour wants nothing more than to live a normal life. But that isn’t as easy as it seems. Trinity is different. She is special. She sees visions, and for those she’s seen, it’s already too late. 
Trinity arrives on her aunt’s doorstep in New Orleans with virtually no knowledge of her mysterious heritage. She begins settling into life at a new school and even starts making friends. But all too quickly her dreams accelerate; twisted, terrifying visions of a girl locked in a dark room. And when the head cheerleader, Jessica, goes missing, Trinity knows she has no choice but to step forward with what she’s seen.
But people believe that Trinity has information about Jessica’s disappearance not because of a dream, but because she is involved. She iskind-of dating Jessica’s ex-boyfriend, Chase, and Jessica did pull a nasty prank on Trinity. Revenge seems like the likeliest scenario. 
Nothing prepares Trinity for the dark odyssey that ensues while searching for Jessica, including the surprising romance she finds with Chase, or the shocking truths she learns, not just about the girl who has gone missing, but the past that has been hidden from her.



Review:

From the cover, you would think that this book would be some kind of fantasy about fairies or something like that.  Wrong.  This book was much more.


As if the cover wasn't enough, the story was amazing.  It twisted and turned and was so complex and perfect.  The idea to have Trinity as a semi-physic was a great one, and the writing really completed things very well and made it an all around solid book.  And I always say that ending make or break a book...well, it made this one.  Great, great ending.  Everything came together perfectly, everything was explained, and it all came to a climax, with great staging leading up to it.  The combination of mystery and fantasy worked perfectly together.  Fabulous work, Ellie James.


While she isn't a super kick-butt character, I really liked Trinity.  She didn't have any mad powers or was a kick-butt fighter, but she was strong and confidant.  I do feel like she could have been a little less sappy when it came to Chase, but hey- I can't get on her for that.
And the reason why is that I loved Chase.  He was nice, caring, super-sweet, totally swoon-worthy, and completely unpopular-football-player-ish (if that makes any sense :P).  He really cared about Trinity and really took care of her.  So Trinity, you can drool over him all you want, because I certainly am! :D


Honestly, I'm not sure where the second book is going to go.  There wasn't a cliffhanger or unfinished business at the end so I'm excited what Ellie James is going to come up with next.


Huge thanks to Ellie James for sending me a finished copy of this fab book AND for signing it as well! <3

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so cool that the author even signed it for you! I'm jealous. And I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one so much! I haven't read it myself, but I might just have to add it to my to-read list. Especially since I've never read any books with psychics before, sounds like fun! And double hurray for a drool-worthy love interest. ;) Thanks for the review!

    P.S. I'm a new follower here! *waves* Nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linny! Thanks for commenting! Yes, Ellie James was really nice to sign it! She's super sweet! And thanks for following *waves back*

      :):):)

      Delete
  2. hmm, ive been seeign this book everywhere, but heard mixed reviews about it, Im not sure if Im too excited with this but I am still curious, and your review is absolutely fab Emily. x<3
    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this blog is amazing! I love books so much too and this is a great place to come to look for new ones! Thank you so much for creating this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Wow thanks so much! I really try to make this a good blog and it really means a lot when people read and enjoy it, so thank you so much for leaving this comment! It made my day!! :)

      Delete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates