Friday, April 6, 2012

Review: Masque of the Red Death

Author: Bethany Griffin
Pages: 319
Format: ARC (Thanks HarperCollins!!)
Release Date: April 24, 2012 (Mark your calanders!!  You don't want to miss this book!!)
Publisher: HarperCollins
Rating: 5/5

Summery:
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.


Review:
I just have one question for myself: Why on earth did I wait this long to read this book?!  Can anyone answer that??!! :P

I loved it.  Loved loved loved it.  It was amazing.  The writing was good, the story line was good, and the idea was good.  If I had to say one bad thing it was that some of the events (like Araby meeting Will) were really sudden and kind of weird because they had no build to them, but other than that this book is great.  I loved the plot twists and turns and it was just amazing.  Amazing.

Okay, so there's kind of a mini love-triangle going on in this book: Araby, Will, and Elliott.  I honestly can't choose who I like best.  On one hand, Will is adorable.  So cute and sexy and really really nice.  But he does do something unforgivable so I kind of liked him less when I finished the book.  On the other, Elliott is kind of a jerk, but in the end he is totally cute and caring so I like him as well.
I also really really liked Araby.  She didn't go between the two guys and play them both.  She kind of stuck to one and when he blew it she went to the other, which I'm fine with.  She was totally kick-ass and strong and I love that.

While this book does have a few minor similarities to Edgar Allen Poe's version, I think this book makes a name for itself with that it is AMAZING!

4 comments:

  1. WOOT!! You have no idea how freakin excited I am for this!! Me want!! Awesome review. You're just making me covet this book even more!

    All the best ♥
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely DYING to read this book! I love the original Masque of Red Death story, so I'm so intrigued to see how it's handled here. Glad to hear you liked it, and also really glad to hear that the love triangle wasn't really a triangle. :) Great review!

    -Ashley
    What's Your Story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. eep Glad you loved it too! I thoroughly enjoyed it and has not issue about it one bit. Great review girl! x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Araby's story and Elliot and Will's secrets will stay with you long after you have finished the story. Their haunting world will remain a part of you and you will be left wanting more.
    Highly recommended Westport Fishing Washington

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates