Monday, April 30, 2012

Review + Author Interview: Slated

Author: Terri Terry
Series: Slated #1
Pages: 448
Format: ARC
Source: Orchard Books
Release Date: May 3, 2012
Publisher: Orchard Books
Rating: 5/5

Summery:
Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?


Review:
After reading all the rave reviews about this book I was super excited to get the chance to read it.  And it didn’t disappoint.

First off, may I just say that this is one of the most original, imaginative ideas I have seen in a book in a long time.  I have a friend who has diabetes, so I think that Terry got the idea for the Levos from that, but it was such an interesting spin on it that I honestly didn’t care.  Everything about this book I loved: the writing, the story line, and the staging.  Everything worked it’s way up to an amazing climax, with all the events flowing together perfectly and amazing, amazing writing finishing it all off.

One thing that I really liked about this book and have not seen in any book I’ve read before is the romance, or lack there of.  I loved that Ben and Kyla were friends and not together because it would have messed it up.  I think the fact that they were best friends and then started having feelings for each other was a much better way to convey the romance and you really feel it more.
It also helped because it made Kyla, who was already a very strong character, seem even stronger.
And Ben was different too.  In most books the main boy character is super hot, sexy, all that, but Ben wasn’t, and I love that.  He was a normal guy, and that made the friendship and romance that much more believable.

Wow Terry, just wow.  You have penned a masterpiece of a debut novel.  I honestly don’t think I have read a debut novel this good before.


________________________________________________

~Interview with Terri Terry~

Teri has lived in France, Canada, Australia and England at more addresses than she can count, acquiring three degrees, a selection of passports and a silly name along the way. Past careers have included scientist, lawyer, optometrist, and, in England, various jobs in schools, libraries and an audiobook charity. The footpaths and canal ways of the Buckinghamshire Chilterns where she now lives inspired much of the setting of Slated. She hates broccoli, likes cats, and has finally worked out what she wants to do when she grows up.











1. Could you tell us a bit about yourself?

I’m a little mixed up – I was born in France, my Dad was born in the Netherlands, my Mum was born in Canada to Finnish parents, I grew up in Canada and moved to Australia. Then I met an English guy while on holiday here, and that is how I got both the silly name, and the English address!

Along the way I’ve tried a lot of things. I did science and law in Canada and was an intellectual property lawyer – inventions, mostly. I loved figuring out how things work. When I moved to Australia I did an optometry degree and was an optometrist for years.

2. Why did you become a writer? Who were your biggest influences?

As a child I was a BIG reader. I used to hide under the covers reading with a torch when I was supposed to be asleep, except I called it a flashlight, because this was in Canada. Then I worked out that if I shoved a blanket under the door my parents couldn’t see the lights were on, so that also worked. And I got in less trouble for the torch batteries always being flat.

To me to write books was the most magical wonderful thing I could imagine – and there was no way I ever thought I could do it. I was always a natural story teller, and I made up some whoppers. But it wasn’t until I’d tried just about every job going that I finally decided it was time to give in to what was inside me, and write. I’ve been writing seriously now for almost ten years, and in a haphazard fashion for many more.

As far as biggest influences go…there are particular books that stand out in my memory from childhood. Many of the authors and titles are now forgotten, but the stories are ones that stuck. But I think one of the biggest things was being taken to the library when I was quite small. Grabbing one of those big baskets, and filling it up with books, ones I chose myself. I read everything.

3. Any special places you like to write?

First thing in the morning, 6 am or even earlier, in my PJ’s in bed with a cup of tea is where most of my writing happens. During the afternoon my favorite place is the Writing Shack – a summer house in our garden. It hasn’t got power, though, so is too cold in the winter. No power also means no internet – always helpful for concentration!

4. What is your favorite movie?

I can’t say I’ve got one favourite, but I LOVE the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the original Star wars movies. Of recent movies the Hunger Games is pretty awesome!

5. Favorite food?

Popcorn! – the salty kind. I don’t really get sweet popcorn: what is that about?

6. Are you a cat person or a dog person?

Very much a cat person. All the cats of the neighbourhood visit my Writing Shack.

7. What is your next book? What's it about? When will it be released?

Slated is a trilogy, so book 2, Fractured, continues Kyla’s story where Slated leaves off. Fractured is out in the UK in May 2013; dates aren’t official yet in the US/Canada but both Slated and Fractured should be out in there in 2013.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And that's all for today.  I hope you guys enjoyed my review and the interview.  Seriously, this book is amazing and I really hope you guys check it out when it's released.  It's being released May 3 in the UK and sometime in 2013 for the US and Canada.  And btw I love comments *hint hint*

4 comments:

  1. Slated looks & sounds like a terrific book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good! And I'm loving the cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! But I do have to say that I've read some totally awesome debut novels this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it is such an original idea! :) I really loved the romance too, like you said it built up slowly. I really hope everything's okay in the second one! :/ Eeek! After what happened to B!

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates