Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Review: If I Stay

Author: Gayle Forman
Series: If I Stay #1
Pages: 262
Format: Paperback
Rating: 2.5/5

Summery:
In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces - to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heart-wrenchingly beautiful, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

Review:

I had heard that this book is really sad and that people cried over it and all that.  So when I sat down to read it in my little reading nook I had a box of Kleenexes beside me and...nothing.

I've heard that this book was heartbreaking and heart-wrenching and that people bawled their eyes out over it, but I just didn't get that.  And I'll tell you why: When Mia's parents died she showed no emotion.  She didn't fall to her knees and scream "Why them?" then bawled her eyes out.  She was just kind of like "Oh, they're dead" and that was it.  And that isn't enough for me.  If you're going to make something sad you have to go all out, you need the main character to be broken and crying.  And that just wasn't a part of this book.
The idea was really good, the story line was ok, and the writing was pretty good, but the story moved along at a snail's pace and I found myself skipping pages to get to some action.
One thing I did like were the flashbacks.  They really explained Mia's background, and they were basically the story.

One of my favorite characters in this book is the mom.  She is hilarious!  On all her scenes I couldn't stop laughing.  she was strong, punk, and didn't care what anyone thought about her, and I love that.
My other favorite character is Adam. *swoon*  Need I say more?  He was so cute, sexy, and extremely nice and caring, and I felt so bad for him when Mia was hurt.
And finally, there's Mia herself.  I'd have to say she's one of my least favorite characters in this book.  I know it's kind of hard to have personality when you're on your death-bed, but in the flashbacks she didn't have any.  I think she was the most under-developed character in this book.

I do think I will be reading the next book (I want more Adam!!) but I'm not really excited about it.

5 comments:

  1. Aww no! I just reviewed a book that fell kind of flat for me as well, sadly. But that much on the emotional part? *sigh* Kinda makes me hesitant to read it. Her reactions doesn't sound quite like I'd enjoy them ._. Hmm. I DO love the sound of Adam though! He sounds more than awesome... *joins your sigh* Awesome review:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for me if you're going to make it sad you have to go all out and I just didn't feel that in this book...and yes, Adam is amazing. And thanks so much. That means a lot :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice review! *o* Happened to find your blog when blog-walking ^_^
    I know how that feels when emotional parts just come across not quite reaching it :/ It's too bad, since you felt that the storyline itself was okay. I've never heard of this one, but from personal experience, the books that make me cry are ones where you least expect it to make you cry o_o It's not super obvious that it's a tear-jerker, but somehow , it just is. Anyway, great review, nevertheless!

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was eyeing this book today at Target, and I'm kind of happy that I didn't waste my money on it, thanks, lol! I agree with you, I need to connect with the main character and go through the emotions, if not, it's not going to be an easy read... thanks for a great review. Maybe I'll get it from the library some day :)
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates