Thursday, June 13, 2013

{Review} Catching Fire by Suzanne Young

Catching Fire
by Suzanne Young
Series: The Hunger Games #2
Pages: 391
Release Date: September 1, 2009
by Scholastic

While there are no spoilers for the first book in my review, the summery might be a bit spoilery so if you haven't read this series than read on with caution!

Goodreads / Purchase
Sparks are igniting. Flames are spreading. And the Capitol wants revenge.
 Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create. Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel in the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn


Wow.  What a sequel.  I can’t believe it.  This book was absolutely crazy.  But so amazing.  This book carried on the story from The Hunger Games perfectly, and added so much to the series.  The idea for this book, the story line, the staging, everything was so perfectly done.  The situation that Katniss is in can only be described as dire, and I was feeling every single emotion with her.  I was so invested in this book!  So many things happened and when I finished I literally sat there for like 5 minutes with my mouth hanging open thinking “What the heck just happened”.  Warning, this ending will kill you.  It was so thrilling and out of the blue, you will not believe it.  There are several twists in this book, and I will admit that I saw most of them coming.  In fact, I figured it out pretty early on in the book, but other things I couldn’t quiet get right, and I loved seeing what I was missing and also if I was right in my original guesses.  You guys, this book will leave you an emotion wreck…in a good way.

Who loves hot new characters?  I DO!  I give you Finnick Odair.  I love this man.  I seriously do.  His personality, sexinnes, and spirit made me love him immediately.  As for Katniss and Peeta, I feel about the same as I did in The Hunger Games about them.  I did really love the addition of a few new characters, such as Johanna and Beedee.  I really loved them both as well.


As I’m writing this review I have actually read the entire trilogy, and I have to say that this book and The Hunger Games are my favorites from this series.  What an amazing book and sequel!


1 thousand million pink flowers


Quotes:

“My nightmares are usually about losing you,” he says.  “I’m okay once I realize you’re here.”


“I’m not going anywhere.  I’m going to stay right here and cause all kinds of trouble.”


Katniss, the girl on fire, has left behind her flickering flames and bejeweled gowns and soft candlelight frocks.  She is as deadly as fire itself.


But what are the livestock keepers from District , who are dressed as cows, doing with flaming belts?

2 comments:

  1. It's so funny because the first time I read this series, I was really pissed off at this book and thought it was really poorly done. I was angry that they went back into the arena - I thought that was lazy writing. But now whenever I reread the series, I enjoy this one immensely. My favorite book of the three will always be Mockingjay, but now I appreciate Catching Fire so much, and I can't really pick a "least favorite" because I love them all!

    Bekka
    Pretty Deadly Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are the best of the trilogy! I need to reread Mockingjay, though, I think I only read it once because I was so angry at it the first time. I'm pretty sure I would appreciate it more now!

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates