Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Hallowed
by Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly #2
Release Date: January 17, 2012
by HarperTeen

Purchase / Goodreads
For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

In this compelling sequel to "Unearthly," Cynthia Hand captures the joy of first love, the anguish of loss, and the confusion of becoming who you are.


It’s been a long time (about a year) since I read the first book in this trilogy (Unearthly) so I didn’t really remember a lot from it. Hand did a really good job of re-explaining the premises and all the events and really getting me back into the story. I loved how she went right into the story and didn’t mess around. The writing was really good as well, and I loved the twists and turns in the plot; it made it very exciting. But, unfortunately, there were some not so great aspects of the book.
First off, Hand tried to make everything into a big joke, and it totally didn’t work. It was really obvious she was trying to make it funny, and it was just kind of a lame try. Also, every. Single. Time there was a page break or a new chapter, she always ended on a really dramatic and really corny line that just drove me nuts. Also, I’ve read in other reviews that the ending was really amazing and sad and that people cried their eyes out. Now, because of that, I though either Tucker or Christian died. Just letting you guys know, that’s not what happened. Yes, it was sad, yes, it was kind of heart-wrenching, but seriously guys—it really wasn’t that bad. Also, there was absolutely no climax to speak of. And that kind of sucks.

Of course, there is a love triangle in this book, between Clara, Tucker, and Christian.
Clara I find a bit annoying. She’s so “Oh I’m helpless” and it was really annoying. She can’t figure stuff out for herself and she needs Christian to do it for her.
I didn’t really like Tucker either. He was kind of annoying and sappy and “Oh Clara, I just can’t live without you.” It drove me nuts.
Really the only person I liked in this book was Christian, though, I must admit, I don’t know why he puts up with Clara. He’s so nice and sweet and sexy and mmmmmm.
I also really liked Clara’s dad and, even though he’s the bad guy, I kind of like Samjeeza. I really hope he can be turned to the bright side again, because I really feel bad for him.
Okay, so, while I’m on the topic, I’m going to rant about Samjeeza for a bit. First off, I dare you guys to say “Samjeeza” in front of your parents or your siblings because I can guarantee they are going to say “Bless you” because his name sounds like a freaking sneeze. Plus, when you hear “Samjeeza”, does that really strike fear into your heart. It definitely doesn’t scare me. Come on Hand, you’ve got to make a better villain then him. He isn’t really that evil; he hasn’t done anything overly mean. I like him better than Clara, and that should tell you something.

Even though this series has some gorgeous cover (I totally judge books by their covers) what’s inside isn’t all that great. Even though the plot is really good, the characters are a trainreck. I really hope the third book is a lot better.


3 pink flowers

4 comments:

  1. That's too bad you didn't like this more! It's been awhile since I read it, but I loved it. Not as much as the first, but I thought it was really good. I didn't love the love triangle (at all) and that's my biggest complaint I think. And I think I was one that might have cried, or at least I was sad about what happened. But I think that made me like it more. But if it had been Tucker or Christian I would have been MAD so I'm glad that didn't happen! Sorry you didn't like this one more though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't really enjoy this book. :/ The plot was more of the problem for me then the characters. I actually loved the characters!<3 Although it's been a while since I've read this so I can't remember if Clara was being annoying or not. Nothing really happened in this book to me. And, like you said, didn't really have a climax. I ended up rating this 4 stars.
    Great review.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was very sad and I was annoyed with a lot of the characters too!! I'm Team Tucker and it's like the author decided..."You know what,I don't like Tucker anymore!" What is up with that ??


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard rumors about the ending, so I can't wait to see what really happened! I liked the first book and the main character Clara a lot! But it I also think female characters that can't do anything by themselves, and always need a "hero" are annoying! I hope the third book is better for you!

    Lisa
    @ turningpages94.blogspot.com
    My Current Giveaway:
    http://turningpages94.blogspot.com/2012/09/giveaway-clearing-my-shelves.html

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates