Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review: Across the Universe

Across the Universe
by Beth Revis
Series: Across the Universe #1
Release Date: January 11, 2011
by Razorbill (an imprint of Penguin)

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

I haven't read many dystopian books, or books in general, that really disturb me.  And this was the first.  Usually when I read dystopians I'm not really bothered by how some company or organization is running everything, but in this book, I was really affected.

It was a good idea.  It really was.  And I loved that Revis went right into the story.  She didn't mess around and write ten pages for Amy's history.  She got that in in other, brilliant ways.  She wrote the book very well, and the story line was really great, albeit a little boring at times, but overall it was good.  The thing that really bothered me was the drugging.  They drugged the passengers to make them passive, to make them mindless drones, and that really bothered me, and really got me thinking.  Just the things they did to keep people under control was sickening.

I really, really liked Amy.  She was strong, confident, and she saw right through the facade Eldest set up.  She was kick-ass and defiant and I loved it.
Elder was okay for me.  Not particularly hot or cute or sweet, bu fine.  He didn't really have any personality and Revis didn't really develop him over the course of the book.
I hate hate hate hate hate Eldest.  I hate him about as much as I could possibly hate anyone.  He's evil, twisted, and delusional.  Why he would think that controlling people is right I have no idea.

All in all, a very disturbing read in a good way, and I can't wait to read the next book.

4 pink flowers

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like dystopians aren't your thing. I really enjoyed Across the Universe. Elder is actually a character I really appreciate because readers get to watch him come to terms with his life on the ship not being what he thought it was.

    He was awkward at times but that was the great thing about him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they aren't really. But I try to read all kinds of genres qnd not keep myself limited to one :p

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates