Tuesday, September 3, 2013

{Review} Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska
by John Green
Pages: 231
Release Date: December 26, 2006
by Speak (an imprint of Penguin)

Goodreads / Purchase
Before: Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.
After: Nothing is ever the same.


This was the first book by John Green that I’ve ever read, and I wasn’t sure what to expect…but it definitely wasn’t what happened in this book!  This book was dark, entertaining, emotionally scarring…and kind of awesome.  First off, John Green’s writing is absolutely beautiful.  The way he described the characters and the setting was just amazing, and the story line flowed perfectly.  I honestly thought I had this whole book figured out, and I thought I knew how it would end…but I was so wrong.  So, so, so wrong.  I couldn’t believe that ending.  [SPOILER: When he was counting down the numbers till some day the whole book I was expecting it to be when Pudge would tell Alaska that he loved her, not when she would die.  That completely threw me, and gosh it was sad. ]

This book has some really awesome characters.  One thing that I think YA lacks is really flawed, messed up characters.  Like in Silver Linings Playbook, Pat and Tiffany are so messed up, but they’re two of my all-time favorite characters.  This book had some really messed up characters, and it was hard to read about them, but I enjoyed it, if that makes sense.  Pudge was a good main character, and he really developed over the course of the story, turning from a weak, anti-social loner to a stronger, has-3-best-friends kind of guy.  Alaska I really liked.  She was strong, she was confident…but she was also crazy, and even though I thought that, I really appreciated her as a character.  The Colonel was a big part of the book as well, and I really loved his character.  He was a good, strong supporting character who had his own issues, and made the book very interesting.


I was very impressed with this book, and I know that John Green is a very popular author, so I will definitely be reading his other books.  But seriously, if all his book are as heartbreaking as this one…I’m going to need some therapy.



3 stars

7 comments:

  1. This was the first John Green book I read too! All his books are sad, but in totally different ways. Paper Towns is sad, but hopeful (depending on how you look at it), and The Fault in Our Stars is one of the few books that ever made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to read the other John Green books, then I suggest you leave The Fault In Our Stars for the last. It was the first book I`d read by John and I loved, loved it, but when I read the other books, they didn`t seem....as astounding? Even though all of his books are brilliant ;)
    I really liked Looking for Alaska, too...and An Abundance of Katherines and Will Grayson, Will Grayson (his collab with David Levithan- amazing!)
    I hope you`ll love his other books more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha too late I've already read The Fault In Our Stars and it was so amazing! Lol. But I think you're right I probably won't like his other ones as much as TFIOS but that's ok because I really love his writing. Thanks for stopping by!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like the silver linings playbook a lot ; )
    Currently I am reading a great book about the world in the future, in 2050.
    It is fictional but based on today's studies and environmental reports and gives good inspiration who we could all live greener and come up with new ideas and trends to stop exploiting the world we live in. It is very interesting, but at the same time entertaining and a great story:
    http://betterymagazine.com/conversations/interviewing-jonathon-porritt/

    A great approach to change the world, I find !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the silver linings playbook a lot ; )
    Currently I am reading a great book about the world in the future, in 2050.
    It is fictional but based on today's studies and environmental reports and gives good inspiration who we could all live greener and come up with new ideas and trends to stop exploiting the world we live in. It is very interesting, but at the same time entertaining and a great story:
    http://betterymagazine.com/conversations/interviewing-jonathon-porritt/

    A great approach to change the world, I find !

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates