Friday, February 22, 2013

{Review} Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging

Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging
by Louise Rennison
Series: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1
Pages: 247
Release Date: April 13, 2000
by HarperTeen

Goodreads / Purchase

There are six things very wrong with my life:

1. I have one of those under-the-skin spots that will never come to a head but lurk in a red way for the next two years.

2. It is on my nose

3. I have a three-year-old sister who may have peed somewhere in my room.

4. In fourteen days the summer hols will be over and then it will be back to Stalag 14 and Oberfuhrer Frau Simpson and her bunch of sadistic teachers.

5. I am very ugly and need to go into an ugly home.

6. I went to a party dressed as a stuffed olive.

In this wildly funny journal of a year in the life of Georgia Nicolson, British author Louise Rennison has perfectly captured the soaring joys and bottomless angst of being a teenager. In the spirit of Bridget Jones's Diary, this fresh, irreverent, and simply hilarious book will leave you laughing out loud. As Georgia would say, it's "Fabbity fab fab!"


Oh my gosh, what a laugh!  Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much when I’m a book.  This book was absolutely and awesomely outrageous.  The things that happened to this poor girl were just hysterical, and the things she did were just crazy.  She was absolutely nuts!  The writing wasn’t that superb, and the story line was choppy, but the author was writing from the perspective of an absolutely insane, British, teenaged girl, so that’s to be expected.  I absolutely loved reading about all the trouble that Georgia got herself and her friends into, and it was a great laugh!

How many of you have seen the movie Hanna?  Anyone?  Well, I have, and I absolutely love it!  It’s about this really kick-ass girl who sets out to kill her mother’s murderer.  But there is a girl character in the movie (gah, I can’t remember her name) who is 14, British, and absolutely crazy, and the whole time I was reading this book I was thinking, “Georgia is just like this girl”.  Seriously though, if Georgia was a real girl, we would be best friends.  Her sarcastic and easy narration was so fascinating, and there is really never a dull moment with her.  And she definitely loves a laugh!  She was definitely a unique character, and I really can’t wait to see what trouble she gets herself into next!

For some Americans, the use of British terms in this book might throw you off a bit, but it was so awesome for me because I lived in Scotland for 10 months, and all these terms and things I remember, and it was like jumping back into the past.  Only I never met anyone there who was as crazy as Georgia Nicolson.


4 pink flowers

Favorite Quotes Ah la Georgia:

“I have a three-year-old sister who may have peed somewhere in my room.”

~Page 3

“I went to a party dressed as a stuffed olive.”

~Page 4

“Looking through the old family albums.  I’m not really surprised I’m ugly.  The photos of dad as a child are tarrying.  His nose is huge – it takes up half of his face.  In fact, he is literally just a nose with legs and arms attached.”

~Page 17

“He says, ‘Look Georgia, you’re a young woman now [what was I before? a young horse?] and I don’t think there should be any more secrets in our house…”

~Page 115

6 comments:

  1. I've got this one on my shelf! Really want to read it! :) I read "A Midsummer's Tights" and laughed so hard through out it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Withering Tights, that's the title! Not "A Midsummer's Tights"! Haha it's been a while since I read that one!

      Delete
  2. When I read your email, I felt I had to come over here to comment. Great review and the book sounds down right hilarious. Thanks so much for the wonderful post. A day with a chuckle is always good. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, this one made me laugh so hard, too! I couldn't stop laughing, and Georgia was absolutely insane. I read all of the books and loved them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Withering Tights by Louise Rennison, so this sounds awesome, too :) I'm glad it's so funny. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always heard about this book, but I've never really thought about reading it myself, strange as that sounds. It always seemed more immature to me, but after reading your review, I think it could be a really fun, light read--may have to give in to the hype! :P
    Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates