Saturday, May 19, 2012

Review: The Lost Code

Author: Kevin Emerson
Series: The Atlanteans #1
Pages: 435
Format: ARC
Source: HarperCollins Children's Books
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Rating: 5/5

Summery:
WHAT IS OLDEST WILL BE NEW, WHAT IS LOST SHALL BE FOUND.

The ozone is ravaged, ocean levels have risen, and the sun is a daily enemy. But global climate change is not something new in the Earth’s history.

No one will know this better than less-than-ordinary Owen Parker, who is about to discover that he is the descendant of a highly advanced ancient race—a race that took their technology too far and almost destroyed the Earth in the process.

Now it is Owen’s turn to make right in his world what went wrong thousands of years ago. If Owen can unlock the lost code in his very genes, he may rediscover the forgotten knowledge of his ancestry…and that less-than-ordinary can evolve into extraordinary.


Review:
I haven’t read a book with a boy as the main character since Percy Jackson, and I really loved those books.  Owen isn’t as kick-butt as Percy was, but he (and this book) are special in their own ways.

First off, this is an amazingly original, imaginative idea.  Atlantis, and dystopia.  Great.  All the books about werewolves and vampires are getting old because how many times can you tell the same story differently.  2012 has produced a great variety of new, imaginative stories, but I must say, this is one of the best.  Not only was the idea amazing, but the story line and writing were as well.  I loved that from page one there was action, and although it was boring at a few points in the story, they didn’t last long and then it was right back into the action.  All the events flowed together, leading up to an amazing climax, and the great writing just topped it off.  Really, really good.

When I first started this book, I hated Owen, because he was weak.  But then, as I read on, I really started to like him.  Not many books portray their main character as weak, especially if the main character is a guy, but it really showed how he grew over the course of the story, how he got some self esteem and really stood up for himself.  So I really really like him and what Emerson did with him.  I liked that he got stronger as the story progressed and finally overcame the bully that had messed with him.
I also really liked Lilly.  She was totally kick-butt, and I loved that.  Owen and her are a perfect combination of kick-butt-ness and used-to-be-weak-but-now-growing-out-of-it-ness (if that makes any sense :P).  So great job Kevin Emerson for creating this great cast.

There is so much left to be explained so as you can imagine I really want to read the second book.


*{Today I have a new thing on my blog that I think is really cool.  My mom actually read my ARC copy of this book before I did, so I've talked her into doing a review of it!}

Mom's Review:
My daughter started this blog about a year ago. I was aware of the whole process of receiving these books and reviewing them, but I never took an active interest in what she was reading. I had a lull in my reading list and ventured into her bookshelf. This was one of the first books she recommended I read. I have read many children’s book that are classics and enjoyed them, but I was unfamiliar with current books.
This book was a wonderful surprise. First of all, it was a male writer. I was excited that she seems moving out of her comfort zone of solely women authors. Secondly, the main character is a boy. Kevin Emerson created a complex hero to star in this series. Owen won a trip to a summer camp and the story shows how much he grows as he’s away from home and facing experiences he’s never considered.  The description of the camp’s activities is humorous in itself and creates a safe feeling, when it’s anything but. There is a strong supporting cast and by the end of the book, you can’t wait for the rest of the story. The plot was original and I enjoyed the historical aspect and look forward to where the next installment takes us.

What do you guys think?

1 comment:

  1. I have been eyeing this one for awhile. Thanks for the review. I think I need to bump it up a bit on my TBR list.

    Andrea @ Reading Lark

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates