Saturday, May 26, 2012

Review: Dreamless

Author: Josephine Angelini
Series: Starcrossed #2
Pages: 487
Format: ARC
Source: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 29, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating: 3.8/5

Summery:
Helen needs to get through hell in two ways: by night they reflected the underworld, even worse torments her day that Lucas and they may possibly love. In the underworld, Helen meets Orion. The more time they spend together, the closer they come to. Then something totally unexpected happens, the forces calculated for holding and Lucas Orion: The four houses are combined and Scion, a new Trojan war seems inevitable.

Review:
*Warning: If you haven’t read the first book in this series, Starcrossed, there may be some spoilers.*

After reading and hating the first book in this series, Starcrossed, I was expecting this book to be as bad, if not worse.  However, I was pleasantly surprised.

While this book was by no means perfect, I still really enjoyed it.  It started where Starcrossed left off, so it was already a pretty complicated plot.  While the writing was okay, I really liked the story line, with all the events leading up to the climax, which, I have to say, was amazing.  I loved how Angelini twisted the mythology around, but I do think that she took it a bit far.  She loaded the powers on people, and it got to a point where the plot was too complex.  You know how when you read a history book, they give you facts and are all business?  That’s how I felt while reading this book, especially since she switched the points of view a few times.  I still don’t like the whole flying thing, but I do like the lighting.  One thing that I found completely unnecessary was the creepy cousin romance.  It’s just wrong, and I have no idea why Angelini would put that in this book.  But, I do have to say, it is a huge improvement over the first book, and it leaves so many things to be explained in the third book.

Going into this book I thought there was going to be a love triangle, and when I read that I was like “Oh crap NO!!!” but I got lucky because there is no love triangle, or at least not in my opinion.  However, there are still two guys, so…
I HATE LUCAS!!  HATE HATE HATE HIM!  He’s so annoying.  He’s sappy, doesn’t think Helen can take care of herself, and is creepy in how he sneaks into Helen’s room when she’s sleeping.  No, just no.
On the other hand, I love Orion.  He’s cute, actually thinks Helen is good for something, and is just an all around nice guy.  And at least he doesn’t stalk her.
And now we come to Helen.  I can’t honestly say that I like her.  I know I said I hated Lucas because he thinks she can’t do anything, and I do, but I think he also might be right.  She is so sappy over Lucas, it’s like she can’t breath without him let alone make herself dinner (first thing that popped into my head :P).  She was annoying, and even though I’m sure Angelini meant for her to be a strong character, I’m sorry, but she wasn’t.

So really the reason that I liked this book isn’t because I liked the characters, but because of the story line.  I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not…I guess we’ll see! :P

What do you guys think?

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I also read Dreamless and I really liked it :)

    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates