Tuesday, December 27, 2011

ARC Review: The Selection

Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Pages: 327
Format: ARC paperback
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Source: HarperTeen
Rating: 5/5

Summery:
It's time for the Selection, a lottery where girls will be randomly chosen to compete for Prince Maxon's heart.  Seventeen-year-old America Singer has no interest in being a princess or ruling a country plagued by violent rebel attacks.  All she wants is a future with Aspen, the boy she's forbidden to be with.  But when she's Selected, America finds herself unexpectedly torn--and must choose between  the life she thought she left behind and the future she never dared to imagine.

Review:
I don't usually go for books like this one, with the whole princess competition thing going on (actually I've never even started one because they don't look good), but let me tell you, this book is amazing.

I loved it.  That's all I can say.  It went right into the story, and I was hooked from page one.  I just couldn't stop reading.  The plot was AMAZING!!  I loved how Kiera Cass manipulated the characters (Aspen) to make America sign up, and then dropped him, but still kept him around.  Does that make any sense to you?  I probably didn't explain that right, but I did my best. :D
About half-way through the book I stopped and looked at all the pages I had left to read and there were still like twenty girls left and I was like How is someone going to win when there's only fifty pages left?  Well, when I finished, my question was answered: None did.  Kiera Cass decided to put me through the torture of the biggest cliffhanger ever and not tell me who won.  HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO ME?!?!

From page one America was in an interesting situation, what with getting Selected and having Aspen as a boyfriend.  This book wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as it is if it didn't have the love triangle.  I usually don't like books with it in them, but it totally worked for this one.
I love Maxon.  He is totally misunderstood.  He isn't stiff, aloof, mean.  He's actually really sweet and CUTE.
The other side of the triangle is Aspen.  I don't like him.  The little slime-ball dumped America because she gave him some food then had the gal to come crying back to her. I hope she ends up with Maxon.
And, last but not least, I really liked America.  The whole theme with her in the Selection was that she wanted to be herself, not someone fake, and I really like that.  She's a very strong character and speaks her mind.  Sort of like me. :P

All in all, I BETTER GET THE SECOND BOOK ASAP OR I WILL EXPLODE!!  DO YOU FEEL MY PAIN, KIERA???

Before I sign off I have to give a huge thanks to Kiera Cass (for answering all my messages and passing on my request for an ARC) and to HarperTeen for sending me a copy.  THANKS!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! And I love the cover. I'll have to put this one on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is a dystopian look at a reality show that takes place centuries from now. The United States is no longer and the country (Illea) is now a monarchy. However, when the King's son becomes of age, there is a contest in which all the women in the land can put their name in to try to become the wife and future queen of the country. In the new country people are separated by castes. Ones being the richest and eights being the downtrodden and generally persona non grata.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't stop reading this either. There was just something about it that sets it apart from alllll the other dystopian books! I am dying to read the next one and I preordered it like months ago :]

    Your blog is lovely, by the way, and I look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it really awesome that we both play soccer, love to read, LOVE Taylor Swift and, last but not least, loved The Selection. Not to mention we have the same name. :)

    Emily
    www.sittingwithabook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates