Thursday, January 17, 2013

Review: Slated

Slated
by Teri Terry
Series: Slated #1
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 352
UK Release Date: May 3, 2012
by Orchard Books
US Release Date: January 24, 2013
by Nancy Paulsen Books
NOTE: I actually orignially read and reviewed this book in April 2012 for the UK release, but I'm re-posting this review for my US readers since it's releasing in the US soon.

Goodreads / Pre-Order
Kyla has been Slated—her memory and personality erased as punishment for committing a crime she can’t remember. The government has taught her how to walk and talk again, given her a new identity and a new family, and told her to be grateful for this second chance that she doesn’t deserve. It’s also her last chance—because they’ll be watching to make sure she plays by their rules.

As Kyla adjusts to her new life, she’s plagued by fear. Who is she, really? And if only criminals are slated, why are so many innocent people disappearing? Kyla is torn between the need to know more and her instinct for self-preservation. She knows a dangerous game is being played with her life, and she can’t let anyone see her make the wrong move . . . but who can she trust when everyone is a stranger?

Debut author Teri Terry has written a brilliantly compelling, original and thought-provoking novel about an uncomfortably plausible future.


*A copy was provided by Teri Terry for review purposes*


After reading all the rave reviews about this book I was super excited to get the chance to read it.  And it didn’t disappoint.

First off, may I just say that this is one of the most original, imaginative ideas I have seen in a book in a long time.  I have a friend who has diabetes, so I think that Terry got the idea for the Levos from that, but it was such an interesting spin on it that I honestly didn’t care.  Everything about this book I loved: the writing, the story line, and the staging.  Everything worked it’s way up to an amazing climax, with all the events flowing together perfectly and amazing, amazing writing finishing it all off.

One thing that I really liked about this book and have not seen in any book I’ve read before is the romance, or lack there of.  I loved that Ben and Kyla were friends and not together because it would have messed it up.  I think the fact that they were best friends and then started having feelings for each other was a much better way to convey the romance and you really feel it more.
It also helped because it made Kyla, who was already a very strong character, seem even stronger.
And Ben was different too.  In most books the main boy character is super hot, sexy, all that, but Ben wasn’t, and I love that.  He was a normal guy, and that made the friendship and romance that much more believable.

Wow Terry, just wow.  You have penned a masterpiece of a debut novel.  I honestly don’t think I have read a debut novel this good before.


5 pink flowers

5 comments:

  1. I just adore your reviews, Emily! Each one makes me want to read the book, and your writing is nice and so easy to follow. I can't believe you're only a year older than me, your opinions are so developed and awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen much about this book yet, but wow does it look good! I love romances that feel real, but don't take over the whole book. Especially when the rest of the book is so unique, like this one! I'm for sure putting it on my wishlist. Awesome review, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you've convinced me. I HAVE TO read this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome! Thanks, I had no idea that this book existed!

    P.S. I love your blog design! It's SO CUTE!

    Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
    http://mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Words cannot describe how happy and excited I get when I see you commented on one of my posts because it shows that you love the material enough to talk about it. Beware, I will reply to your comment with a gushing comment of my own.

If you leave a link to your blog I will most definitely check you awesome people out. Anyone who comments here is my best friend whether you want to be or not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...