Friday, March 16, 2012

Review: A Beautiful Dark

A Beautiful Dark
by Jocelyn Davies
Series: A Beautiful Dark #1
Release Date: September 27, 2012
HarperTeen

Goodreads / Purchase
On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites--like fire and ice--Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move--only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine."A Beautiful Dark" is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.


I will admit that the only reason I bought this book is because I adore this cover.  I mean, look at it.  It's spectacular.  Unfortunately, what's between the covers isn't as good.

To be honest, for half of the book I felt like I was reading a chic lit book.  It was all social, school, drama, all that, and the Skye making a spark of electricity here and there.  It wasn't really paranormal until the last 100 hundred pages.  And for the other 200 there was absolutely nothing going on: no action, no building, only going to school and sneaking peaks over shoulders to look at the new boys.  That was it.  There was good writing, but not really a story line.  And I mean that literally: this book was pointless until the last 100 pages.  Although I did enjoy the ending, I wish the whole book had been like it.

Usually when an author has a male character that is confidant and kind of full of himself, I love him because the author also writes him as sexy.  In this book, Asher was that guy.  Only I didn't like him.  At all.  Davies didn't take the time to develop him AT ALL.  He wasn't sexy, he wasn't kick-ass, just stuck up and annoying.  Really the only thing I liked about him was the fact that he was on the rebels' side.
The other boy in Skye's life is Devin.  I didn't like him either.  Although he was kind of nice in the beginning, he slowly turned into a jerk and he wasn't sexy at all.  And I hated the side he was on.
I didn't really like Skye either.  She wasn't particularly kick-ass or strong.
To be honest, Cassie was my favorite character, and that's because she actually had personality.  I've noticed that none of the characters are very developed.  They're just kind of there.


I will read the second book but I def won't buy it.


2 pink flowers

2 comments:

  1. Just took it off my tbr! I wanted to read it because I love angels, which I think this is supposed to be about. But your review along with another really helped me chop it off. I don't want to read a book that has buttholey boys and a lame story line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I hate to say it I think you made the right choice. It really isn't worth the time. :(

    ReplyDelete

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates