Saturday, December 31, 2011

Review: Anna Dressed in Blood

Author: Kendare Blake
Series: Anna #1
Pages: 316
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 3/5


Summery:
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story. . .

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.


Review:
I was so excited to read this book.  And although I was a little disappointed, I still liked it.

I usually don't go for these kinds of books: Scary, with a boy as the main character, the whole ghost killer thing going on, but I'm really glad that this book introduced me to this genre because it was actually pretty good.  The story line, while good, wasn't amazing.  I don't really understand the early defeating of Anna (I really thought it would be the ending of the book), but the real ending was very good.  And I've never read a book where the hero falls in love with the dead villain, and I have to admit, I kinda liked it.  And the ending was so sad, I just have to find out what happens to Anna.  This book is brutal, scary, and kind of gory, but I really enjoyed it.

My favorite character is definitely Anna.  She didn't want to die in the first place (she died horribly, btw.  But I won't tell you so you have to read it :P), and she didn't want to become the demon she was as the dead.  I also liked that she was a part of the ghost-hunting group (Thomas, Carmel, and Cas) and that she helped in the end of the book.  And I'm glad she likes Cas.
I don't have much to say about Thomas, just because he didn't do a whole lot, but he's nice.
I like Carmel because she was kind of a strong character, though she didn't do much either.
And, last but not least, I kind of liked Cas.  Although he wasn't as kick-ass as Percy Jackson, he was still a pretty strong character.

All in all, not my favorite book ever, but not bad either.  And one thing I didn't mention earlier was that I did NOT read this book at night. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates